Monday, January 28, 2008

There she is...

Miss America 2008

This year the Miss America pageant took a "reality check" spin on life as a beauty queen and opted to "revamp" the image using a reality based pre-pageant show.
I'm shallow enough; I know it-I bit.
I watched the show, and then, I watched the pageant.
To my happy surprise the young woman who won will spend the next year advocating for her platform: Public Awareness of Eating Disorders.

Apparently even little girls who dream of becoming Miss America aren't immune to the unrealistic body image that society favors and then places as the "body to be" on our beautiful daughters, sisters, mothers, aunts, grandmothers, and friends.

Our new Miss America survived an eating disorder and has lived to tell.

She is one of the lucky ones...speaking as another one of the lucky ones, I hope she does everything she sets out to do this year as the voice for those who can't speak, won't speak, are no longer here to speak...

My bigger hope, that people somehow learn to listen.
Good Luck Miss Michigan!

umarmen und lieben
essie

(Still on the soapbox: It is about time.
She had my vote at "Hello")
RIP Alex

No comments: