Thursday, January 17, 2008

WTF-SERIOUSLY

How do things like what I'm about to post ALWAYS happen to our family?!
SERIOUSLY
Do we have some fricken LIGHTNING ROD attached to us somewhere that we can't see but is clearly sticking out far enough to SCREW us with?!

UGH

So, today, Team Leader had to meet with the moving rep, regarding our PCS claim (what was damaged, lost, or stolen during our move to Germany)
He told me what happened...
and then...
He told me he wished he hadn't.
The following is sitting in the inbox of the person who will now have to deal with me.
Lucky him.


"Mr. S-

I am H-'s wife, Esther. I have spoken with my husband about your meeting today and I must take this opportunity to let you know I am shocked by what he told me. Shocked, infuriated, livid-you choose-I think it is in everyone's interest that we reschedule and you and I have a chance to sit down to discuss the particulars of our move.

First, At NO time were we EVER told that we had to provide ORIGINAL purchase receipts for missing personal goods. I have grave concerns over this statement. If I have misunderstood my husband, please, feel free to elaborate and/or correct me. When I turned in our information, I told the soldier beginning our PCS Claim file that we were never given an inventory from the movers when our Unaccompanied Household Goods were picked up; in fact, we believe that the moving company FORGOT we were on their schedule 10 July, and when they did show up at 5:00p.m. the evening of the 10th what was "packed" was thrown into boxes without any thought or care.

What arrived here that second week of August was in tatters; the remaining items (that I inventoried) were STOLEN.

They are GONE.

Second, with respect to the family heirlooms that are missing, HOW am I meant to provide original receipts for items that were passed down by deceased family members?! My husband shared that in your opinion, it would have benefited us to have our household inventory appraised every few years or so, because "how much is an antique worth?" Not helpful advice after the fact, wouldn't you agree? I was given that armoire 27 years ago on my 13th birthday. It's French. That's what I know. I find it strikingly odd, that the representative of the moving company has all sorts of advice when it comes tofacing and possibly accepting responsibility for damages, but NO advice prior to the pack up.

Third, I understand that you shared with my husband the fact that some soldiers are "cut checks that they then don't use to repair or replace" is it ANY of your business how a family chooses to move next, particulalry when the items that made them FEEL AT HOME are broken beyond repair or stolen by unscrupulous moving employees? Who are you to assume that we are "deadbeats" who just want the cash? THESE WERE PIECES OF OUR LIFE THAT WERE DAMAGED, AND/OR STOLEN DURING OUR MOVE TO GERMANY FROM NORTH CAROLINA. We didn't ask for this, but, this is what we got. We're talking about wedding crystal, children's furniture, family heirlooms, a file cabinet with TEACHING PLANS inside it-who in G-d's green earth wants a file cabinet with someone else's lesson plans for crying out loud? What I want, is my stuff, and since YOU and the MOVERS can't provide it, I think the on-ace of responsibility should fall on YOUR shoulders NOT mine.

This is outrageous.

Fourth, I didn't select the companies that packed our things, the Army did. Had it been up to me, I would have interviewed reputable companies with unblemished records, compared expense estimates and selected a company based on many more things than a low ball bid-which is what I believe the Army does-lowest bid gets the job. Instead, left at your mercy, I now have to prove what WAS mine, actually belonged to me. If I'm wrong, I'd LOVE for someone to prove me different, because I really can't help but smell something fishy here. It's awfully conveinent for you to have all the burden of proof placed on me-the victim.

Going back to my first issue of concern, if anyone had bothered to inform me or my husband that original purchase receipts were "required" for partial replacement (as I now understand we don't make the new window of opportunity for full replacement because our things arrived here 6 weeks prior to your new cut-off date) I would have stored or sold EVERY ITEM WE OWN before we left. That way I wouldn't have to go through the heartbreak of leaving our home, to find that what we arrive to in Germany is nothing but pieces of what we sent.

Finally, this is the most ridiculous situation I could possibly imagine being in-this system is shameful and IN NO WAY supports the soldiers and their families who are moved at the Army's whim without any thought or care about their personal belongings. I am outraged by this new information, and, if you can't help us or answer my great concerns then please BY ALL MEANS forward my email to your superior and I'll gladly talk to that person. As it stands, I am planning on going back to the Claim Office AND to Legal Aid-someone dropped the ball here and it sure wasn't me.

Esther H-"

Does it show that I'm really frustrated, or do ya think he might call security after reading this...hmm...
sucks to be him I guess!

5 comments:

e said...

awww essie.
i'm sending you BIG love and hugs from across the ocean.
moving companies SUCK...big, small, "good" ones, bad ones....they all suck....because it's just "stuff" to them...
they don't care that's it's a drawing your oldest son made when he was two...or that your great grandma MADE you that blanket...
to them, it's stuff..
and it's NOT fair....
I hate that you're going through this...
I love you.
xxxe

e said...

btw...your email pretty much rocked ;)xxxe

C N Heidelberg said...

Oh, what a nightmare. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Good luck!

Chrissy said...

Umm, my visit to Germany will not include a visit to the jail will it?

EuroTrippen said...

Oy, I may not be in the army, but I move about as often. I feel your pain when it comes to dealing with relo claims... it completely sucks.