Wednesday, January 09, 2008

I'm not a tourist...I live here!

(Part II)

My mantra yesterday morning as I drove off post into the German darkness to make the first of many, many, many early morning trips to my new job in Mannheim.
I thought it as I turned onto the exit...
I murmered it as I entered the Autobahn...
I said it as I prayed the GPS would turn on...
I screamed it when the GPS froze and performed some type of illegal action rendering it utterly USELESS.

UGH

I made it...relying heavily on any and all of the landmarks that I had noted on earlier trips...and I met the teacher I'm replacing and all the little one's who now know me as "Mrs. H."

wow!

another year...I get a classroom space for me, me, ME! It's chock full (26 little bodies full) of unique personalities, carefully selected names, cherished small people whose faces smile trust, and sweet, and happy, and a teeny bit mischievous...

I've decided it's a good thing.
Even if the GPS never works again.
I'll find my way with the 26 of them.

umarmen und lieben!
e

2 comments:

EuroTrippen said...

Awww, I can tell by the way you write about children that you're going to be a great teacher. Well worth all the trauma associated with autobahn driving!

e said...

yikes...
the autobahn might make me yak.
so thrilled about your job though.
wish all teachers were like YOU.
xe