Tuesday, September 19, 2006

My frogs

Yesterday was really good.
I listened to a voice mail from Rae,
read an email from Lori,
made brownies for my family and gave some to Karen,
and got a late night phone call from Hannah.

Today, I got a phone call from Erika.
Then I got a call from my mom.

All this love-
got me thinking...what is being a friend?

Is it spending every single day, in and out together?
Is it knowing that someone feels comfortable to you-whatever it means?
Is it leaving that comfort zone, even though you know it may be hard?
Is it keeping track of someone through holiday greetings?
Is it knowing when even the best of friends need space?
Or, is it simply being someone that can be all or none of those things for someone else?

I have some people in my life who will always make me happy, no matter what, you just will.
You make me better, and because we can, we share the warts of life together.
Sometimes those warts are really funny, and we crack up every time we reminisce.
Sometimes those warts hurt-they hurt our hearts, they hurt our heads, they hurt our time and we want nothing more than to forget.
Most often those warts are the things we can't wait to tell each other about-even when words aren't easy to come by. But we do-find the words-because we are lucky, and because together, we can! Then all the missing pieces come back together to make things fit again.
That means something.

Warts and all, we cherish each other.
I love that.

xoxoxo
essie

ps-this is for all of you-every single one-the teacher pals who have too many kiddos in their rooms with psycho parents, the mommy pals who do and don't get to see their "babies" every day, the pals who come and go, but always say "hey"- to all of you, have a hugs and love kind of day!

1 comment:

e said...

*MWAH*
BIG love to you.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxe