Friday, October 27, 2006

The Wash

a funny little title, I know, but alot of things come and go courtesy of the wash.

For example, socks-what in the WORLD is up with the sock Bermuda Triangle mysteriously hidden inside my washing machine?! And the phrase: "It will all come out in the wash..." certainly didn't apply to the load of laundry I woke up to on Monday morning that had gone through with a blue ink pen!

yup. scratch one entire load of Preston and Team Leader's clothing...it wasn't the best way to begin the week. In fact, it set the tone for my week, which has been VERY messy to say the least!

Before I begin, a disclaimer of sorts, I am very tired. I am missing Virginia. I am aware that one should always be careful of what they wish for-I just wish sometimes that somethings weren't so messy...and that the wash was simply, just the wash.

This week I "hung out" with my new 1st grade team mates. Fun, you would think, cautiously optimistic is more like it. I do have the most teaching experience on the team, but little if any of it, is helping me here. WHAT?! How can that be?! I've been doing this for 15 years-I may not have taught in Connecticut, but shouldn't I know everything by now?!
But you're never too old to stop learning, and,
I've learned this week that North Carolina is CWAZY!!!

After spending 3 days completing the reading assessments of the two 1st year teachers on the team, I did get the downlow from a teammate with 6 years of experience, who goes on Maternity leave in 5 days:
WHOLE GROUP BASAL READING instruction
say it again-
WHOLE GROUP BASAL READING instruction is MANDATORY and I'm not allowed to do author studies.

WHAT-HOLY CRAP-WHAT!!!

It's taken me all week to actually process this.
I actually think I might have made a mess of things by questioning the greater wisdom of Cumberland County when I asked my new boss:

e: "Um, whole group reading instruction...for real?!"
boss: "Yup." (with a bitten lip)
e: "no author studies?!"
boss: "not during literacy block." (with a bitten lip)
e: stupid look is coming across face
boss: "I want you to try this and then we will dialogue."
e: still stupid, and got nothing at this point

HOLY CRAP!

Taking my mind off of everything I am finding impossible to believe has been the amazing story of how Sam Angel came from Korea to Reston. (Kevin, you are a fantastic writer!)

I have cried everyday reading this beautiful story of thanksgiving, and love. I have thanked G-d at least 100 times for his life because I know how much the simple idea of him meant to his parents and now, how much his actual being has already changed them forever.

What a miracle!

I hoped when I called Hannah that she had made it to the airport to welcome him on behalf of K-1 (hee hee) but never expected to hear from her, my Rahnie, and Miz Candy about the heartfelt hugs and love that he received "Team Tang" style! I am SOOO proud of you guys for your Kindergarten crafty-ness!
Yay You!!

What you did was a perfect example of what can go RIGHT in the wash...all those unbelievable tang shirts, my $700 near death experience, neighbors who were stressing over a sea of orange, and breaking Jheri's washing machines when we let the bleach pens get the better of us...good times ladies, good times!
This is what those wonderfully ridiculous shirts now mean:
They mean welcome-
They mean unity-
They mean love-
They mean friendship-
They mean that babies DO come from the airport, and that, means everything!

Yay La! Yay Kevin! Yay, Yay, Yay SAM! G-d bless you three-and Sam, be the best little bumblebee you can be!

1 comment:

e said...

you are good miss essie.
that baby is adorable.
xxxxxxxe

what is up w/ your comments?!?!? HA!
oh, and
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
Wish we were treating around the hood w/ you guys! :)