Sunday, August 19, 2007

Life on Post

Little things I've picked up about living on Post include-

*Some parents don't supervise their kids...at all!
*You stand up for the National Anthem at the movie theatre before the movie starts.
*You can walk anywhere you want to go, on Post, that is!
*People can hear you from your second story flat.
*Our "Eis" (ice cream) man is ITALIAN, and is trying to teach me how to order for the kids in German, Spanish, and Italian-the French, I have that down pat!
*You can pay in dollars, but no one wants pennies...
*There is a lot of practical storage in our flat, but, it's also empty right now!
*Some GI's and their families, want this base to look manicured and nice-others-not so much!(See my first comment above!)

The other night TL and I went to see Oceans Thirteen (just now getting here...)a 5 minute walk from our place to the theatre. It was light out when we left. Naturally, it was dark when we got out of the movie. We started our walk home, talking about the movie and the fact we were actually having the FIRST date night of our marriage, when I looked up an saw a fully lit Christmas tree in the window of another soldier's Quarters.

A Christmas tree...in August.

A sign, perhaps, that for this home Christmas would be now instead of December because Mommy or Daddy wouldn't be around then?

Maybe. Probably. It brought tears to my eyes, and made me think of our friends who have been gone for too long, and who are leaving again right now-for too long.
It's not right. Not at all. I don't envy any of them...just pray and hope for their safe return, and hope that this world of ours can settle down enough for us to leave SOMETHING tangible for our children, who will inheirit this madness if it doesn't.

1 comment:

J said...

You are very lucky to be close to theatres that have movies in English. The closest to me is about 100 km away.