Wednesday, December 10, 2008

good thing

changing the mood, ever so...

there i was.
standing in the commissary, at self check
little tired,
looking a little rough,
but remembering Nicola's email,
and smiling at the kid who was helping me load my canvas bags onto the turnstile instead of using plastic-
holding up all the other shoppers behind me, I'm certain.

when I heard my name-
like a shriek, that i didn't expect (i was at the commissary after all)
i jumped and saw my friend Michelle running at me.
Michelle who always wears a smile-
Michelle who was beaming and yelling my name-
in the commissary!

back ground/sidebar
Michelle is the president of our Spouses Club.
she's the friend who roped me into being the Membership Chair (and I will ALWAYS say, all I thought the job entailed was writing thank-you notes...)

today was our BOG meeting, and a really big welfare request was on the table.
big people, really big.
it was the kind of need that most people hear about and think
"well...better luck next time"
it was for children in the community where I work...
a base-post which is technically a tiny piece of American soil...
where many "have-nots" reside.
in the past all they have heard is
"no."

i have been praying for change in this community-
and today
there was Michelle to tell me
that
this amazing group of people said
"yes."
because they could and they wanted to-
they said yes.
and, "yes" was unanimous-

such a wonderfully good good thing!
a mitzvah, in this season of thanks, blessing, and goodwill
these children get all that and more!
opportunity
hope
education
the world is a bigger place tonight
big and good.
yay!!

umarmen und lieben
essie

2 comments:

Diane Mandy said...

Lovely!

e said...

hooray! what wonderful news!!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxe