Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I'd like to be, under the sea, in an Octopuses Classroom with you...

Question: Is it grammatically correct to say "octopuses?"

So today my class really floored me, oh yes they did!
As you read, please be reminded that THESE children could potentially hold the future of North Carolina in their hands...

This week is "EOG testing" week in Cumberland County. EOG (End of Grade) is NC speak for SOL (Standards of Learning), which is VA speak for

"Holy crap, it's standardized testing from hell week!"

Something near and dear to the heart of every teacher who has HAD IT and wants the year to be over NOW! What it means at my school is that our assistants get pulled to "proctor" the test and we are left TOTALLY alone with all these bonkers kiddos for the entire day, all week! It makes for what I'm doing now...drinking...yup, at 4:40 in the afternoon, Malibu and Pineapple, baby!

Tired and crabby, are we in the First Grade wing-we're all done-quitting every hour or so, because saying "I QUIT!" out loud to a sister in arms, well it helps, so it's what we do during weeks like this. Bringing me to this-our final math assessment-we've been baby-stepping our way through it this week, HUGE headache mind you, but we finished it this afternoon.

Or so the kids in my class thought...BECAUSE based on how they answered the test questions on probability, they'll ALL be repeating FIRST GRADE next year!!

(This would be a great time to remember that these kids are the future...um WHAT?!)

One of the 4 questions they incorrectly answered asked this:

" Circle the sentence that is more likely to happen:
1. An octopus will visit our classroom.
2. A chicken will lay an egg."

MY brainiacs (all but 2 actually) circled the FIRST SENTENCE!!!
OH YES THEY DID!!!

Seriously.
They did.
For real.

How many days left?!!
hugs and love!
essie

5 comments:

e said...

HAHAHAHAHA......
omg...you are killing me.
Now, tomorrow, when an octopus visits your classroom....what are you going to do?!? hmmm.....
I SOOO wish I were drinking a pineabu with you right now...
I HAAAAAte it here....remember the every other rule...omg...could NOT be more true.
I will call soon.
loveyou. xxe

J said...

LOL! Too funny! Also, I laughed when I read this: 'NC speak for SOL' - Standards of Learning wasn't the first thing that entered my mind.

I've just come across your blog by your comment on B's blog. I'm also a teacher (here in Germany) and am also American. When will you be moving here?

essie said...

hi J!

We'll be moving to heidelberg in August. We should be there by the 9th. I'm hoping to get a job teaching for DoDDS on base, but whoa! these little first graders are kicking the stuffing out of me, so I might take on becoming a professional Haus Frau instead!

Where are you in Germany?

gabbyfek said...

ok
seriously cracking up
i loooooooove this story.
well
i mean
i guess i shouldn't love it love it...
but i sorta do.
xoxoxoxoox,
g

J said...

I'm in Koblenz, about 2 hours north of Hberg, a quite uninteresting city to live in but nice to visit for a day.