Monday, April 09, 2007

Rotters!

Yesterday was something.
Team Leader left on Saturday morning for his next big trip to Germany; leaving me with our 3 Rotters (unsupported mind you!) for the remainder of April.

What is a "Rotter?" you ask...simple really.

British slang for someone rotten.
British slang I grew up with curtesy of "Oor Wullie" and "The Broons" comic books tha my Scottish Grammie would send us, along with mounds of candy, which my brothers and I still prefer over the American counterparts.

Back to yesterday. We began our morning with a visit from the Easter Frog (more on that later), baskets were full, spirits were WHOA high thanks greatly to our pals at Hershey and Mars, and Mr. Ben was thoroughly enjoying a remote controlled farting machine which was part of his Easter Booty, much to the dismay of others.

Around 10am I realised we were having our Passover Seder with one of Tony's Golden Knights team members and I was still in my pj's. The manic house cleaning began shortly thereafter. Around 1:30 Mr. Paul called. At 2:00 he showed up. We were expecting him at 4...Thank goodness I'd put the chicken in early!

A Seder, traditionally, is a very long meal. Most children really don't look forward to the Seder because there is so much praying and blessing going on that eating really doesn't come in as a priority. Passover is afterall a holiday where we recognize our release from Bondage. We pray for our ancestors, we pray for the release of others still in Bondage, we pray and thank G-d for his blessing as a people.

In our family, I spare the kids the hours and let them eat first and then we begin. We end our Seder by saying "Next Year in Israel." Yes, it's a long dinner, but it is only once a year and it is beautiful. It reconnects me to my heritage, and is very important to me.

Yesterday my 3 were so naughty at the table it was legendary, and I quietly asked them to leave. By then I was whispering "Next year BYMYSELF!" I was so embarrassed. Friends came to say hello, the kids stayed upstairs. Friends left and the kids stayed upstairs. I cleaned up, and pulled out work I had avoided all break (still avoiding btw, as I'm doing this instead!) I watched The Sopranos for Team Leader, and went upstairs to get in bed. They were settled down. Pres must have really figured out my level of frustration...whatever...they were quiet and I was tired.

Woke up this morning DREADING the fact that I go back to work today-UGH.
Came downstairs.
Hanging over the passthrough to the dining room was a HUGE sign from the kids:



(It says "Happy Birthday Mom"
We love you!)

and the tv was frozen on the frame in the movie "Love Actually" (my favorite movie) where one character is holding a cue card up that says:
"To Me You Are Perfect"

I was flabbergasted! For starters, the 15th anniversary of my 24th bday is tomorrow, BUT, my 3 NEVER do stuff like this...usually it's all about them
Of course my camera is broken, so a picture will have to wait.

However...it was a beautiful way to wake up...and rotters they are, but they are mine-ours really...Somehow they figured out how to release me from my personal bondage, and that is the best early bday gift I've ever received.

Thanks kids-Momma gets it!
I love you too!

4 comments:

e said...

awww....i love that for you.
i found the perfect little sumthin for your 25th anniversary of your 24th bday....showed colin, he thought it was perfect....and then promptly forgot to order it....so it's so NOT going to arrive tomorrow....but look for it. Happy Early Birthday my friend. I love you. xxxxe
ps. Damn frog

essie said...

um, you are too sweet, and how about I was SOO tired that I implied I'm 49 tomorrow...


HOLY JUNK!!!

xoxox
e2

e said...

heehee....yeah, i went w/ it.
39...49....is there really a difference?!
HA! I keed, I keed.....heehee...
HAPPY REAL Birthday today ;)
Wish I could take you out for a coffee...or a drink....or a trip to WalMart....something. love and hugs.
xxe

gabbyfek said...

i love those kiddos.
this is so great.....
ps we talked about you mucho last weekend. i misses you.
pps mike and i want to do the 4th w/ you guys one last time, if you're still around...
xoxoxooxoxox.