Thursday, September 17, 2009

no 248. what a difference a life makes...

a year ago, part of my heart left me-
left me for places unknown
left me for places uncertain
left me.

it has been a year frought with questions
questions without answers.

it has been a year of work
work without joy.

many mornings, i would drive to school, heavy thoughts filling the corners of my mind-
worry.
so much worry.
few mornings, i would drive to school, heavy rain filling the corners of the sky-
parting, ever so slightly,
pausing to let the sun shine through
in a heavy moment, a rainbow would appear...

my mother in law once said that rainbows were G-d's promise to mankind.

i have never forgotten that-even remember where we were when she said it-
G-d's promise...

the afternoon i got the call, it rained.
the afternoon i got the call, a rainbow appeared.
now, in my humble mind, i imagine that part of my heart-Dulce Maria somewhere beautiful, painting rainbows with G-d.
it makes me smile and give thanks for every one that i see.

so tonight, on the eve, it was Open House at my school.
i was SO SO SO tired; it had been a very long day, and the hour to close up shop was just about to ring, when
one last family came in to say hello.

this family is a new family,
this child is a new child,
who
has begun filling the empty place in my heart.

he is naughty, mischievious, whimsical, silly, sweet, good, kind,
did i mention naughty?!
his parents are both active duty, and, to tell them Open House was over-
it wasn't going to happen.
i spoke with his momma,
i spoke with his baby,
i spoke to his little brother -who- tried to feed my wall with a tub full of counters.
he made a mess, a mess that will wait until tomorrow to be cleaned.

but
it was what he did as he left that stopped me in my tracks...
as this child left with his family, a chorus of goodbyes filled the hallway, and ringing loudest of all was the little brother

"BYE H!"

Dulce.
you were there tonight, weren't you?!
some people might reflect on time passing...what a difference a year makes.
others,
we see the difference a LIFE can make.

it was my blessing in life to know her, and, my priviledge to be her teacher...

umarmen und lieben DW
H

1 comment:

e said...

dude.
you made me cry.
not cool.
I LOVE YOU.
xxxe