Sunday, February 08, 2009

no. 211 the one where life got a little more diabetic or the hot pink parachute-you decide

news from the other side of the world got a little more intense for our family this week, as we learned that our beautiful little niece has type one diabetes.

it was shocking email, full of gut wretching emotion, and distance-such extreme distance.

i hurt my heart to be so helpless and far away from our family...
nothing we could do
to ease the fear
to shatter the window of scary
to heal the hurt
to answer the questions
to simply be-there-with them all.

knowing the key players in all this, we were able to create our own version of a golden parachute to sweep down over our loved ones and blanket them in cuddles... our parachute happens to be hot pink (and won't cost tax payers a thing, thank you very much!)
yup
a hot pink parachute
(don't judge me...i'm a hot pink kind of gal!)
for our family in florida,
learning how to navigate the winds of change
and insulin
and shots
and carbs
and sugar
and lots of sweetly intended good wishes that are sometimes hard to take in stressful situations

the hot pink parachute of hugs and love
from an essie to an ellie
who has been there too...
from an uncle to a nephew
who feels the scary and wants to swoop up and take it all for him...
from cousins to cousins
who have a tight bond, a lifetime label, "Harrisons"...
from family to family.

i love you honey girl
love you lots and lots and lots!
take care of honey bear for me, he's a little scared, and wants to help.
i know you can show him how.

kisses, wishes
hope and virtue
unarmen und lieben
e

3 comments:

Julie said...

Es - I've certainly shed many tears this past week, but as I've told you before, you honestly, truly, always know how to make me feel better and make me see a brighter light in such a stressful and trying time. Your niece, sis-in-law, nephew and bro-in-law are in a much better place just from the ever so comforting emails you have sent over these last few days. Granted, many tears have been shed while reading them all, but only because of your soothing words that have made me feel such comfort and a little more at peace. We are all so fortunate to have such a wonderful and supporting family to help us through this difficult time and we couldn't do it without you guys. Even though you all aren't within arms reach, please know you have already made a big difference in our transition. Although it may get a little tougher before it gets any easier, our little girl is going to get through this and it will be even a little easier just knowing the love and support we are feeling and receiving from "across the pond." Thank you for just being you.

I Love You!
J

e said...

aww.
I was going to comment w/ something slightly different but after reading julie's comment...
I have to say that you really do always know what to say,
you use the perfect words...
and are such a bright light.
I'm sorry you all have to deal with this, esp ellie, but I'm so so happy you have each other. xxe

Diane Mandy said...

Hey Essie!

Shoot me an email at dmandy_5@hotmail.com. I'd like to set up a meeting before I leave this fair country!