Tuesday, October 05, 2010

no. 337 the dream that became a reality

was born seventeen years ago today...

our boy.
seventeen sounds so big-
he is, make no mistake, but
the smile

the smile
will always be part of the face
i saw
staring back at me
those beedy little eyes

at 6:21 pm
on October 5th, 1993.

my son
his momma
us
i told you then
"i waited for you-and-here you are!"

you gazed back at me with those eyes
saying in that moment where love is cemented
that you had waited for me too

i try to remember that frozen moment
when you push me to a limit
i should remember it more than on the day of your birth
and really...
i do

tonight you sit across from me
i watch you
laughing at the cards
loving every minute of our
family
celebration
same beedy eyes full of life, wonder, and fire
same amazing little person

not
so little
but forever amazing...
my dream
my reality
my son.

happy seventeenth birthday
umarmen und lieben
momma

2 comments:

Julie said...

What a fantastic tribute to your "not so little" guy on his very special 17th birthday. One more year, Es, and your little boy is officially an adult...scary! I don't think I remember that he was born at 6:21, but I will be sure to raise a glass and make a toast to our special nephew at 6:21 our time, while he's sound asleep (or maybe not...I know he's a night owl) probably dreaming about big boy things, like girls, instead of dreaming about things like Thomas the Train that he once dreamed about. Gosh...time just flies. Happy Birthday, Pres! We love and miss you!

Renee Hanson said...

Wow, Essie!!! I was fine until I read it aloud to Eric and then I teared up. What a beautiful tribute to your son! Happy Birthday to Preston!!