Wednesday, August 26, 2009

no. 245 my turn

is the column in Time magazine, where someone, some one regular or irregular person gets a voice.

today the world lost one voice.
team leader called me on my way to school...
it was just after 7am here in germany
it was shortly after the president had been informed in washington
the news was scrolling updates filled with shock and disbelief.

a mighty voice.

Senator Ted Kennedy cried at my grandfather's funeral.
he sat behind me during the service; what i remember most about that day, was the soft sound of loss.

a strong voice.

Senator Ted Kennedy was a true champion for the people.
he cared about our country; what i remember about his service, is his devotion to making this country a place for all it's citizens to be equal, our schools to be g.o.o.d., and health care to be universal.

a big voice.
Senator Ted Kennedy was a person who filled a room.
he would smile and speak; what i remember about this man, is more than his family name, it was the reflection found in the faces of those who listened and heard him.

yes, he was a Kennedy, and

his family was important to my family-
his family was important to my country-
his family was important to my, our, THIS world-

with his family, for whom i offer the greatest condolence, in the weeks of passing that have overcome them...
i take my turn in thanking him for his very full life.
i take my turn in thanking him for his big, strong, mighty voice.
i take
my turn

may you rest in peace...

2 comments:

e said...

I had no idea of this connection.
I love you friend.
xxxe

Unknown said...

Beautiful tribute, Essie.