Monday, March 24, 2008

The Adventures in Pooh Corner

I registered Pres for High School today.
My baby boy...
High School...

The place where REALLY big kids
go to school
with seriously younger kids
who think they are big.

In some ways they are-
big.
In other ways-
not so much.

I wanted to leave early this afternoon,
just to be on the safe side.
Pres was giving me stress;
"WHY Mom...WHY do we have to leave so early?!"
When I left school (in a snow storm mind you) today,
I raced home as fast as I dared (in a snow storm mind you),
to get home to him.

He was there.
He was waiting.
He was ( I think) ready and a little bit nervous.
So we took Gaia.
We needed Gaia.

It was a 3 generation registration!
heh.

His closest friends (minus one who goes tomorrow) were there
with their parents
rocking back and forth on their heels.
Murmuring about "Freshman Fridays"
and classes to take.

We agreed on:
Honors English/World History
Biology
Geometry
Spanish I
PE
Guitar I
and computer programming class.

It took 3+ hours.

I didn't cry, although I did gulp a big big gulp when the counselor reviewed the credits necessary for graduation...only 26.
That's the number that will keep my son home, until he is gone, and is a much bigger kid than I'll ever be ready to accept.

Now, sitting at this computer, I am crying.
Now, in the living room, he is playing a vicious game of Uno with his Grandma, little brother and sister.
He laughs.
I cry...
the dichotomy amazes me.

Our safe little world, Pooh Corner, changed tonight.
And...
The Hundred Acre Wood, with this milestone,
became one acre larger.

2 comments:

e said...

i-can-NOT-believe-Pres-is-going-into-HIGHSCHOOL...that is so wrong.
isn't he still 8?!?!? I'm pretty sure he is....
so.
jr.high is 7-9th here...which means i have even longer before i have a highschooler...
thank goodness.
the fact that my "baby" towers over me already is freaking me out enough.

hi to Gaia and your Dad!!! ;)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxe

Lana said...

oii!
I know exactly what you're going through. how is this possible? and to think - this is 1 of 3 for you...!

i'll be in potsdam, leipzig and berlin in june 2009. is that anywhere near you?

please give my love to your parents.
xo
lana